To be eligible to participate in the Global Scholars program, you will need to meet the following general eligibility requirements by the end of the semester in which you apply:
- Be currently enrolled as a full-time student in an undergraduate degree program at Rice, and must remain enrolled full-time in that Rice degree program for the duration of your involvement in the Global Scholars program.
- Have space in your current degree program to undertake one or more of the available courses, while also being mindful of maximum enrollment limits.
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- Have completed at least one year of study and at least 12 credits in your current degree program.
- Be approved by the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Studies to undertake selected Global Scholars courses (please see process once you have downloaded the application at the link below).
- Agree to the program terms and conditions (listed at the bottom of this page).
- Not have previously committed an honor code violation.
Additionally, we encourage you to seek advice from your major academic advisor for submitting your application to ensure this aligns with your academic and career goals.
Apply for the Program
Applications for the Global Scholars program are due eight weeks before the start of the course. Each time you apply for a course in the Global Scholars Program, you will be required to submit a new application.
Before applying, please review the list of available courses through the Global Scholars program. Once you have done this, you will need to download the Global Scholars Application Form, complete the necessary information (including your digital signature on page 1), and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. On page 2 of the application, you will find the application process workflow. This page does not require any input and is just for reference purposes.
Please note: completing this application will mean that you agree to the programs terms and conditions as outlined below. If you have concerns regarding these terms and conditions please contact us at email@example.com.
Terms & Conditions for Rice Students in the Global Scholars Program
Undergraduate Rice students in the Global Scholars Program are obligated and responsible for the following terms and conditions:
I. Distance and Online Education Policy. See section IV-B (“Student Responsibilities and Services”) from Rice University Policy No. 846 Distance and Online Education. https://professor.rice.edu/uploadedFiles/Professor/Independent_Pages/Policies/Policy%20846.pdf.
II. Transfer Credit. See Rice University Transfer Credit policy from Undergraduate Student Academic Policies and Procedures listed in General Announcements https://ga.rice.edu/undergraduate-students/academic-policies-procedures/transfer-credit/.
III. Concurrent Enrollment Policy. See Rice University concurrent enrollment policy from Undergraduate Student Academic Policies and Procedures listed in General Announcements https://ga.rice.edu/undergraduate-students/academic-policies-procedures/registration/#text as well as https://dou.rice.edu/concurrent-enrollment-request.
IV. Host University Policies. When a Rice Global Scholar (approved Rice student) is enrolled at one or more of partner universities in the Global Virtual Exchange (Global Scholar Program), the Rice student becomes a student of the host university and is responsible to follow the policies and procedures of that partner university. Example: a Rice student becomes approved by Rice Global Scholar Program to take a particular course from Global Scholar partner University of Queensland; when the Rice student enrolls at the University of Queensland, the Rice student is also a University of Queensland student and responsible to follow the policies and procedures of University of Queensland.