Learn the Meaning of DE&I and Key Definitions
The introductory course in our four-course series, Defining Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Organizations, provides a comprehensive overview of the fundamental concepts of diversity, equity, and inclusion. The DE&I training course also covers why these efforts sometimes fall short and explains the elements that make the case for diversity. Additionally, we will explore the concept of DE&I maturation, which allows learners to assess their organization's activities and determine its place on the DE&I continuum.
Who should attend:
- Working professionals in a diversity role and are actively involved in implementing diversity leadership initiatives within their workplace, seeking to enhance their skills and strategies for promoting inclusivity.
- CEOs, Diversity Officers, and executives who acknowledge the need for transformative change in the workplace. This includes those in managerial and supervisory positions who want to drive positive organizational culture shifts in the workplace.
- Individuals currently holding leadership positions across various levels and departments, aiming to deepen their understanding of DE&I principles and integrate inclusive practices into their leadership approach.
You will be able to:
- Provide a common understanding of the terms diversity, equity, and inclusion and how they can be effectively implemented into an organization.
- Gain insight into how changes in your demographics can affect your organization and explore different reasons why diversity is beneficial to your organization's success.
- Identify different levels of diversity on the DE&I continuum and evaluate where your organization stands.
- Identify challenges that arise when implementing DE&I initiatives and apply strategies to avoid common pitfalls that can lead to unsuccessful diversity efforts.
MEET YOUR RICE PROFESSOR
Dr. Richard Anthony Baker
Dr. Richard Anthony Baker has worked in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion for over 20 years and holds the Executive Director for People, Equity, and Talent Development position at Rice University. In addition, he has served as the Immediate Past President of the Board of the American Association for Access, Equity, and Diversity. Dr. Baker is the first African-American to earn a doctorate of jurisprudence and graduate degrees in Public Administration and Higher Education from Texas Tech University.
Explore our related DE&I Courses
Organizational Leadership in Diversity, Equity & Inclusion SpecializationLEARN MORE
Key Concepts in Organizational DE&I (Course 2)LEARN MORE
Best Practices in Planning DE&I Interventions (Course 3)LEARN MORE
Assessing Cultural Climate (Course 4)LEARN MORE
Any questions? Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org